Staffordshire - Campaign to Protect Rural England

Skip to navigation

AGM 2014

This year's AGM will be held on May 17th. at Stafford Historic Courtroom at 2.00pm. There will be a talk about the history of the court following the formal part of the meeting.

Completed in 1798, Stafford's Shire Hall was home to the County Assizes, or criminal courts until 1991. The current building is at least the third of Stafford's Shire Halls: a building is first mentioned in records as early as the 1280s. Little is known about this structure although it is thought to have stood at the corner of Market Square and Greengate Street.

As the most important official building in the town in the Middle Ages, the Shire Hall was home to the county court, to the county's Justices of the Peace, and to judges on tour from Westminster.

The Historic Courtroom is located in Market Square, Stafford, ST16 2LD





join us

Back to top